Friday 26 June 2015

"Mrs. Peel, we're needed."

"It was the first show that put its leading man and leading lady on an equal footing, and showed a woman fighting and kicking and throwing men around. That was a radical departure in its time."
Patrick Macnee



In "The Avengers", John Steed, played by Patrick Macnee (1922-2015), always treated Emma Peel and other female partners as equals. Even the fact that Emma Peel was called a "feminist icon" is tributed to Patrick Macnee's ability of having a powerful woman at his side. When Linda Robinson appeared in season 6 to play Tara King, Emma Peel's succesor, he said:

"[Thorson]’s character loved Steed, but I always thought that was a bad idea. The show was so much better with Steed and his leading lady as sparring equals, without the woman being subservient. But with Linda, it leaned that way."
Patrick Macnee



"We were the first people in popular television to make the woman an equal partner with the man. You won't believe that, but I promise you it's true."
Patrick Macnee

"It was male chauvinism, as you must realize, in the 1960s, particularly in the entertainment business, which was pretty repulsive."
Patrick Macnee



"The thing I'm really proud of is that I never carried a gun. I said that I wouldn't carry one; when they asked me why, I said that I'd just come out of a World War in which I'd seen most of my friends blown to bits. In a way, I was politically correct at that time. It was rather extraordinary - I don't take all the credit for it. But the main credit of that show - which was a comic strip, The Avengers - we started off doing it live but when the women came, it coincided with the rise of women's lib. So women were totally excited to see, in what was after all a comic strip type show, a woman [who] actually does things. You won't believe it now because women run the roost, so to speak. At that time, to see a women like Diana Rigg, with that beautiful auburn hair throwing men over her shoulder, then tossing her hair out of her eyes, smiling and saying 'Where do we go next?' was highly attractive - particularly to young women. And to young men, particularly with the clothes, because they were... err, revealing and interesting. Suddenly a woman was vibrant in a medium in which [that] normally didn't happen."
Patrick Macnee

<

"If I was Sean Connery, I would have been macho. I always remember Honor Blackman going to the Bond film saying, 'Oh, he wouldn't let me get away with that.' Implying, you always did. I'd grown up with a lot of women. My mother was a famous lesbian in the 20s and 30s and I grew up with only women, so I was used to getting on with them. It just struck me, in fact now, Jerry Weintraub has been telling people that he's going to have the women dominate to Ralph Fiennes, who is one of the best actors in the world. And I think Ralph Fiennes will be wonderful as Steed. I hope he invents it all over again, makes it a new character, you know."
Patrick Macnee



"(...) I disliked the Bond character intensely. I was told in 1960 that if I read the Bond books it might help with my character, this character called Steed. I told them that I found him perfectly repulsive, sadistic and disgusting, and I loathed that title 'Licensed To Kill'. In fact, the Bond that I did I just went in and played this little part, and thank God they built it up and it was very nice and I enjoyed it. But the character of Bond... no, he's the very antithesis of Steed, in fact. He uses women as battering rams, and uses his gun at every conceivable moment. I tried to use my ingenuity and gave the really dangerous work to the women, which I think is the way it should be. Women seem so anxious to go to war. All right, let them go to war then we won't have to."
Patrick Macnee



photographs of Patrick Macnee and Twiggy via and via and via and via and via and via and via and via

3 comments:

  1. Patrick Macnee, the ultimate gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And the best dressed one, too.

      Delete
    2. The ultimate and best dressed gentleman. Absolutely... Thank you Derek, thank you Karen.

      Delete