Tuesday 27 December 2016

Bacon & God's Wrath

Sol Friedman's beautiful, wonderful, fantastic documentary "Bacon & God's Wrath" is about Razie Brownstone, an impressive Jewish woman who is about to turn ninety, who had a strict religious upbringing, who became an atheist (she prefers the term non-believer) after discovering the internet two years ago and who is going to eat bacon for the very first time. Award-winning animator and filmmaker Friedman has blended live-action and animation techniques in his short documentary (via and via).


"Faith. In some ways it is like believing in ghosts or Santa or the tooth fairy." Razie
And when did you come to learn that?
"Well, I wished that my story was a bit more interesting. Like if I had questioned God about suffering a tragic loss or wrestled after accepting my son being gay. But my adult life hasn't been that interesting. It was simple and nice (...). And then two years ago I started using the internet." Razie
So, Razie, how was it (eating bacon)?
"Seemed perfectly OK. I was not stricken down by a heavy arm of the Lord. I seem to have survived fine. And I didn't throw up." Razie
Here the 8-minute documentary:



image via

6 comments:

  1. Lovely! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant little film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful woman she is, love this short documentary. Many thanks, Derek, Kenneth, Karen, Wim, and Macy!

    ReplyDelete