Monday 29 July 2019

Mr Rogers' and François Clemmons' Famous Footbath

Fred McFeely Rogers (1928-2003) created "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood", a children's programme that began airing in the U.S. in 1968, was the host of all 895 episodes, composed more than 200 songs. "More importantly, he changed the face of children’s television and transformed the way we think about the inner lives of young children." (via)


As different as we are from one another, as unique as each one of us is, we are much more the same than we are different. That may be the most essential message of all, as we help our children grow toward being caring, compassionate, and charitable adults.
Fred Rogers
In a 1969 episode, on a hot day, Fred Rogers invited François Clemmons, who embodied a friendly police officer for 30 years and the first recurring black character on a children's series, to join him in taking a footbath. This was "one of those giant leaps for mankind moments" (via) since at the time, many community pools did not "welcome" black US-Americans (via).
Fred came to me and said, “I have this idea, you could be a police officer.” That kind of stopped me in my tracks. I grew up in the ghetto. I did not have a positive opinion of police officers. Policemen were sicking police dogs and water hoses on people. And I really had a hard time putting myself in that role. So I was not excited about being Officer Clemmons at all.
François Scarborough Clemmons
He invited me to come over and to rest my feet in the water with him. The icon Fred Rogers not only was showing my brown skin in the tub with his white skin as two friends, but as I was getting out of that tub, he was helping me dry my feet.
I think he was making a very strong statement. That was his way. I still was not convinced that Officer Clemmons could have a positive influence in the neighborhood and in the real-world neighborhood, but I think I was proven wrong.
François Scarborough Clemmons
- - - - -
image via

2 comments: