The International Day of Friendship is "based on the recognition of the relevance and importance of friendship as a noble and valuable sentiment in the lives of human beings around the world."
The Declaration and Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace adopted in 1999 set 8 areas of action for nations, organizations and individuals to undertake in order for a culture of peace to prevail:
- foster a culture of peace through education;
- promote sustainable economic and social development;
- promote respect for all human rights;
- ensure equality between women and men;
- foster democratic participation;
- advance understanding, tolerance and solidarity;
- support participatory communication and the free flow of information and knowledge;
- promote international peace and security (literally via)
Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks have been friends for more than sixty years. In 1950, a TV show brought them together (via). For some years, they eat together and watch TV together in Carl Reiner's living room every night (via).
photos of Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner via and via and via