Monday 16 January 2017

Quoting Virginia Woolf

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman."
Virginia Woolf

"If we help an educated man's daughter to go to Cambridge are we not forcing her to think not about education but about war? - not how she can learn, but how she can fight in order that she might win the same advantages as her brothers?"
Virginia Woolf



"The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself."
Virginia Woolf

"These are the soul's changes. I don't believe in ageing. I believe in forever altering one's aspect to the sun. Hence my optimism."
Virginia Woolf

"One of the signs of passing youth is the birth of a sense of fellowship with other human beings as we take our place among them."
Virginia Woolf

"I was in a queer mood, thinking myself very old: but now I am a woman again - as I always am when I write." 
Virginia Woolf

"Women have served all these centuries as looking glasses possessing the power of reflecting the figure of man at twice its natural size."
Virginia Woolf

"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world."
Virginia Woolf

"It is fatal to be a man or woman pure and simple: one must be a woman manly, or a man womanly." 
Virginia Woolf

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction."
Virginia Woolf



Photographs of Adeline Virginia Woolf (1882-1941) by Man Ray via and via

4 comments: