Stiles: I was suggesting that Mr. Spock could probably translate it, sir.
Captain James T. Kirk: I assume you're complimenting Mr. Spock on his ability to decode?
Stiles: I'm not sure, sir.
Captain James T. Kirk: Well, here's one thing you can be sure of, mister: leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge.
The Original Series episode "Balance of Terror" introduced a new enemy: the Romulans. It was the first time that Romulans and humans got to see each other after a war they had had a century before. As Vulcans and Romulans look similar, Lieutenant Stiles shows his prejudice toward Spock. This is when Captain Kirk replies: "Well, here's one thing you can be sure of, mister: Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There is no room for it on the bridge." (via)
- Leonard Nimoy
- The Conscience of Star Trek
- Leonard Nimoy on what he would say upon being the first man to set foot on the moon
- Spock, the Outsider
- Dear Mr. Spock,... (1968)
- Tuvok, the Black Vulcan
- Love. It Comes in All Colors.
- My Captain
- Captain Kathryn Janeway
- Half a Life
- The Drumhead
- The Nonstereotypical Role of Lieutenant Uhura
- Hoping dream becomes reality, by Nichelle Nichols (1968)
- Captain Pike has a female first officer & Captain Kirk hugs a mountain
- The Star Trek Opening Monologue
- The "First Lady of Star Trek"
- It's as simple as that
- Quoting William Shatner
- "Well, here's one thing you can be sure of, mister..."
- Quoting Gene Roddenberry
- "Trek Against Trump": For a Future of Enlightenment and Inclusion
- More on space, spiced with some science fiction and a lot of diversity
- It's OK to be Takei
- Quoting George Takei (I)
- Quoting George Takei (II)
- Quoting George Takei (III)
- Public Library
- "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
And here an article on Star Trek and diversity in German:
- Zukunftsvisionen, kulturelle Phasenverschiebung, Vielfalt und eine Hommage an Star Trek
- - - - - - - - - - -
images via and via and via
Many thanks, Wim, Karen, and Derek! High time for another Star Trek posting :-)ReplyDelete